Online marketing is always changing, and companies have to constantly work to stay informed so they don’t get left behind. Marketing tactics consumers used to respond to are now considered pushy at best and tacky at worst. So, how do you know what will work right now? We’re here to help! The following will help you avoid those tacky marketing moves and push you into tactics of a classier variety. More importantly, they are methods that work!
An easy-to-use website and rich blog content are both important for ensuring high rankings in search engines. This is called Search Engine Optimization (SEO). In addition to SEO, these tools are important for acquiring new customers. Here is how you can leverage your blog and your website to reel those customers in:
- Measure, measure, measure! – Keep track of your website and blog analytics. These metrics will inform you about what your customers want from your site and you. If you notice something important is buried, then you can make that change.
- Is it user friendly? – Having an easy-to-navigate website makes it easier for customers to find what they want and also helps with SEO. Google gives preferences to websites that are easy to use from top to bottom.
- Content is King! – We’ve all heard at this point that content is essential to any online marketing plan (see more below). This is where blogs comes in, but you have to make sure it’s unique creative content, or it won’t help!
- Is it high speed? – High-speed hosting helps search engines to easily crawl your website, which will help with that search engine ranking.
As we’ve said before, content is KING. You must have compelling and interesting content to encourage search engines to take your seriously. Here is how you can do just that:
- Produce hot topics – Topic generation is essential to attracting customers and search engines. The more unique and interesting topics you have, the more people will come, and the better your ranking will be.
- Calendar it – Creating a content calendar will keep you organized and will ensure your content is consistent across all platforms, including blogs, social media and your website.
- Blog it – Blogging is that important. If you have useful, interesting information you want to share with your customers, blog about it and link it to your website. Not only would you be offering something great to your customers, but you’re helping your SEO as well. Everyone wins!
- Blog for someone else – Offering to author for a blog in your industry, will help you build relationships with people who can get the word our there about your company. Plus, they’ll link back to your page in the blog, which boosts your search engine rankings.
- Design an infographic – People like pictures. If you have great information to share, considering getting it designed into a visually pleasing infographic. These get shared and linked back to your site.
- Offer in-depth, free content – Offering valuable e-books or white papers for free will get people talking, sharing and potentially help your acquire new customers.
- Sharing your content…again! – This means sharing your great content multiple times and also sharing others’ content. It’s a great way to build relationships and to ensure your content is being seen.
Hiring someone to do your social media could be one of the best choices you’ve ever made. If you don’t have the time to devote to keeping it up and only post every so often, it can be more harmful than helpful. If you can’t afford to do that, here are some pointers on how to launch and manage a successful social media plan.
- Launch it right – First, pick which platforms that make sense for your customer base. Then make sure you create a consistent look across all of those platforms. Most companies find it easiest to start with Facebook and Twitter.
- Monitor what people say about you – Keyword monitoring (you can use Google Alerts) is helpful in keeping track of what is being said about you online.
- Create awesome content – It’s so important, we’ll say it again: Content is king! Create engaging, compelling, interesting content that will keep people coming back. It will also encourage loyalty to your brand and repeat customers.
- Manage your community – It’s not only important to put yourself and your brand on social media, but it’s important to be…social. That means talk WITH your customers and potential customers. Answer their questions. Ask them what they want from your company. It’s a great free market research resource, too!
Email marketing is still one of the most effective forms of marketing out there. It’s also easy to test, so you know what’s working and what’s not. Any marketing plan should include email marketing and the following ways to leverage it.
- Pick the right newsletter software – There are a lot of newsletter and email software companies out there. Pick the best one for you. Try researching Constant Contact and Mail Chimp first.
- Pick an attractive template – It’s important to pick a good-looking template that relays the appropriate message about your brand. Make sure it’s easy to read and navigate for your customers.
- Remember, it takes time – Use the “drip marketing” concept when thinking about your email plan. You should use them sparingly and wisely and it will convert customers over time.
Optimizing your website so you show us high in searches, is perhaps one of the most important aspects of your online marketing plan. If you don’t show up on the first page, then you’re out of luck.
- Research your keywords – You need to now what people are interested in, so you can make sure your website has those search items. There are tools like Google Adwords that can help you find the right words for your SEO campaign.
- On-Page SEO – Making your page easy-to-use and having tons of original content will help you boost your page in searches. Limit outside links by linking back to other pages in your site.
- Off-Page SEO – You can do this by building relationships with bloggers and industry leaders. When you do that and you have information to share about your company, they are more likely to help you spread the word. One way to do this is through guest blog posts.
A good public relations plan takes time, but online public relations can be built through connecting with industry leaders, bloggers and media entities.
- Write interesting press releases – Avoid being too “salesy” in your press releases. A quality press release has hard facts, is easy to read and short.
- Send your press releases to high-end sites: High-end sites are higher-ranked websites that Google gives preference to. If you can get your website linked from a high-end page then your page looks better to Google.
It is harder than ever to make a memorable ad piece that sticks! However, it is easier than ever to see what’s working and what’s not so you don’t waste your time. So, being creative and measuring are important!
- Use Facebook advertising – It’s one of the more affordable options out there, plus you can target potential customers by gender, location, and interests.
- Google Adwords – Google Adwords is a great tool and can be very effective. Make sure you do your research and do testing to ensure success!
- Measure everything – To ensure your return on investment for your dollars, you need to know what’s working. By doing proper A/B testing you can know that your dollars are making a difference.
It can be overwhelming launching or re-vamping a marketing campaign. Just remember:
- Content is king
- Measure effectiveness
- Pick the right tools for the job!
Feel free to contact us with questions, we help many of our customers with online marketing services.